Free Consultation

February 11, 2020

Who Pays in an Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Accident Liability Case?

Texas law requires the person responsible for an accident to pay for any damages and injuries others sustain in that accident. The compensation for injuries and damages in an accident is usually taken care of by the person’s auto insurance policy. There can be a problem when the person who is legally liable for an accident had chosen not to buy insurance. When an uninsured motorist or one with the minimum limits of $30,000 per person, $60,000 for each accident, and $25,000 for property damage is responsible for a serious accident; the other driver’s insurance may have to pay under the uninsured/underinsured motorist section of their policy.

Uninsured Motorist Protection

Not only does this coverage protect you when a driver doesn’t have insurance or if the driver’s insurance is for a lapsed policy, it will protect you in a hit and run situation also. In any case when uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is used, your company may begin by treating you fairly but eventually they will treat this like any other claim. That is, they will try to reduce their exposure in the claims negotiation process. That may leave you or an injured family member having to get inferior medical care and possibly not receive enough money for the necessary repairs your automobile needs.

Since the uninsured motorist is required by law to be responsible, there is a way to hold them accountable whether they have insurance or not. That would be to sue the responsible party for the damages directly. Unfortunately, this option can be a problem if the person has disappeared or has no real assets that can give you proper restitution. With the assistance of an uninsured/underinsured accident attorney in Houston, you can learn about what options that you have so you can determine the best way for you and your loved ones to pursue compensation.

Whether you have uninsured/underinsured coverage or not, a consultation must be made with an uninsured/underinsured accident attorney. Contact the Lassiter Law Firm (713)521-0104, if you have had this problem in the Houston area. Our team can and will get you properly covered by your policy or the other driver’s policy and personal assets.



Contact Us Now